Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Winter...


For the last few days the temperature hasn’t been above 35 degrees and has been as low as 10 degrees at night. Now that’s what I say is pretty cold. Especially when you are homeless and living unsheltered or in a tent, abandoned building or under a bridge. I realize that many of you really feel sorry for them and wish to help. Keep in mind that the homeless people who live in the shelters along Lancaster already have many of the resources available to remain warm, fed and comfortable. There are many of those same homeless people who live in the shelters who will take what you have to give whether they really need it or not. Sometimes they will sell their excess for cash, drugs or whatever. The homeless people who really need the assistance are the unsheltered people. These are the folks who have fallen through the cracks and for their own reasons refuse to go into the shelters.


In my own case, I spent a couple of months in the shelters when I first became homeless and discovered that it wasn’t for me. In those days (around late 2002 to early 2003) Lancaster was not a very safe place at times. I personally had been robbed of things I had with any value, saw drug transactions in the open and blatant prostitution. I just was not comfortable. These days things are much safer and while the theft, drugs and prostitution is still there it is no longer as obvious nor does it make me feel unsafe as I did all those years ago. I still would not go to a shelter. The main reason is that I know how to camp. I can be far more relaxed and comfortable without having several hundred other people around all the time. Nuff said.

The real reason for this particular post is that all those unsheltered homeless, who number around 500 here in Ft Worth, tend not to receive any sort of assistance from donations like the folks in the shelters. In many cases the only times an unsheltered homeless person can find a warm coat, for example, he or she would have to either walk to the homeless district on Lancaster, which could be a matter of miles or he may get lucky and one of the few homeless outreach workers may find something for him or her. All that is assuming they have any luck in finding someone or someplace where coats are being provided.


Now that’s not to say that the unsheltered or camping homeless people just need clothes. Many of them have all sorts of needs. But first you have to locate them which may or may not be simple. Keep your eyes open when you are travelling through the city and its outskirts. Ask your friends or neighbors if they have seen any homeless people in your area. Is there a secluded patch of woods nearby? Take a walk and see what you find there but if you do run up on a camp please announce yourself when you approach.


Now once you have located an unsheltered homeless person or persons, ask them what they can use. In my case I always had a need for propane fuel for my camp stove. Sometimes shoes or boots that were in good repair were nice to have. Even food items either already prepared, easily cooked or just eaten as is are always acceptable. Other items that are nice to have are hygiene items, maybe some sweets, socks, gloves and scarves are good too. The important thing here is to ask them what they can use. Many times they may say they don’t need anything but his or her clothes, coat and shoes are in poor repair that’s a clue. Use good judgement.


Now with all that being said. Don’t just give to an unsheltered homeless person just the one time and feel good about yourself. Keep in touch with them. Make sure that they are OK in extremely bad weather. I have spoken in past postings about the family who adopted me the last couple of years before I finally left my camp. They made sure that I was OK and basically checked on me to make sure I had fuel, food and other supplies on a regular basis.


Who knows, you may develop a friendship and in the end help someone rise up out of what has brought him or her to homelessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment