Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 7, 2013

After all the comments about my last post I have to say that I am not sorry about being a bit rough on the homeless agencies. They do seem to pad the numbers a bit to justify funding although one number they seem to be missing are what they call the unsheltered homeless. I'm one of those.

According to a census done 2 years ago there were 136 unsheltered homeless in the area. There is one problem with that number. There were more than that living on the sidewalks around the PNS when that census was done. When it comes to those living in camps, I know that on my side of town alone there were over 100 people camped out when the last census was taken. Today in the 4 major areas I know of there are at least 60 people and another 60 or 70 people in smaller areas or under bridges. That's just in my part of town. Add in the other parts of the city and I bet that number will really increase. So let's see what kind of numbers this next census will show.

Somehow I get the impression that the unsheltered homeless are getting the short end of things. Especially when according to my own personal count I place the unsheltered homeless at something on the order of 30% to 40% of the total homeless in the area. Let's get real people. Not all homeless are visible. All homeless do deserve equal treatment and access to services.

1 comment:

  1. looking forward to participating in the census to see how the process works... or doesn't work as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete