Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 22, 2013

Another Ramble part 2

If you read the post I did last week about the population explosion in the unsheltered homeless in my area alone, there are in fact two major reasons. One as I spoke of was the number of homeless who are unsheltered has been increasing. That is a fact. Last January a census was performed to get a count of the total number of homeless people there were in the area. In prior surveys they were claiming there were about 140 unsheltered homeless in the Tarrant County area. I had some strong feelings about that particular number knowing as I do that there were far more unsheltered homeless than that. In fact in my particular area of town say within 2 miles of me there were at least that many unsheltered homeless or homeless people living in camps.

This latest census has indicated that there are now over 300 people in the Tarrant County area who are unsheltered. Again I have issues with that particular number and suggest that something on the order of 500 unsheltered homeless or so who live in camps throughout the Tarrant County region might be more accurate. Once again I will ask the people involved to at least be realistic. I do realize that showing the smaller number makes it look like they are at least keeping the homeless situation under control. On the other by being more realistic in the census numbers of the unsheltered homeless and the homeless in general will give them the information needed when they apply for the various federal and local grants that are available. By being more realistic about the numbers of unsheltered homeless they could gain a better understanding of what is needed outside of the shelters.

One other suggestion is that an active dialog should be established with the organizations who are actively working with the unsheltered homeless and to listen to what they have to say. Organizations such as Hand of Hope and the Catholic Charities SOS teams work exclusively with the unsheltered homeless and probably have a better handle on what is needed within that particular community of homeless people.

Lastly, for the most part the main homeless shelters are at capacity. The number of homeless people is increasing and the overflow has to go somewhere. From my perspective, the number of unsheltered homeless living in camps is increasing. In my little area where my camp is located there has been an increase from 2 people or camps in 2010 to between 18 and 22 people in 8 camps today. That's just in my little patch of woods alone. Other areas that I've visited recently seem to be seeing increases as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment