Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Few Ideas

Over the years I've had several people approach me and ask the question, "what more can I / we do to help you?". The short answer is a lot of things can be done. There's more to helping a  homeless person than just providing a meal, clothing or a hygiene kit.

Over the next several months I'm going to talk about some of my ideas in depth but for now let's just throw out a few ideas. Keep in mind though, most of these ideas only work on a homeless person who is ready to take the next step. He or she will have the underlying problems that are keeping them homeless well in hand whether it is a physical issue, an addiction or even mental health issues. Care must be taken and any of these ideas can be accomplished by individuals, families or groups of people working together.

Adopt a Homeless Person
This is an interesting concept that I had in the back of my mind. In fact it's actually happened to me. I have been adopted by a family who are not only there to provide me with food and other supplies from time to time but in fact are there giving me their love, their friendship and many more things that I will speak of in another posting.

Homeless Housing
This one can be pretty simple or extremely complex in implementing. Much depends not only on funding and space availability but also depends on the homeless person themselves. One thing I do know is that having a place to call home with a real address can make all the difference in the world when it comes to things like getting a job, feeling secure, pride, confidence and the list goes on. Micro houses in micro villages are can be found in several cities is one idea that seems to be slowly catching on. Several more ideas that are not shelters come to mind.

These are only two of the concepts I will speak of over the next few months. One overriding fact must be kept in mind by all people who wish to take on a project such as these two and others. The homeless person involved has to have the problems causing or keeping them homeless well in hand or the project will fail. Another consideration, is that the homeless person and the group or family involved have to be a good fit.

Helping a homeless person beyond the food, clothing and blanket stage can be simple or complex. It can be hard work for both the person or group providing the help and the person receiving the help or it can be easy depending on the level of help is provided. Providing food, clothing and hygiene kits is only a start and much more can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment