Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Another Ramble

Well here we are and now that July has arrived, it's getting hot. Today and tomorrow will be over 100 degrees. This basically means that I and a lot of other folks will be seeking shelter where-ever it's cooler. In my case I will spend some time at the library branch near my camp. Other days I may just stay in camp and cool off in the creek as needed. When I can afford it I will even spend time on public transportation taking care of all the running around I need to do.

In general the heat takes it's toll on people. In my case and in the case of several people I know, there is a risk in doing any sort of physical activity during the heat of the day. Whether it's because of age, physical condition or medical issues, the Texas heat is tough and if you are not careful, the heat can get you into serious trouble.

How other homeless people deal with the heat varies from person to person. The library is a good place as is the ITC station downtown. Some guys will hang out under bridges and overpasses because the concrete there is cooler to sit on and it's stays shady all day. During extreme heat the shelters will even allow people in to their facilities during the day.

That however is only some of the homeless people out here. Quite a few will stay out in the heat. Finding a nearby shady spot or a place out of the way where they can do what they do. Far too many will not be drinking enough water, if they drink water at all. Many more will be dealing with the problems caused by the hot weather as best they can which means they mostly ignore it and keep moving on no matter how much physical harm they are doing to themselves. Some will show up at the emergency rooms.

I've been doing this every summer for the last 10 years and as I grow older I've had more problems because of the heat here in Ft Worth. I know I am not alone. Keep this in mind though. The homeless guys you may see around are the ones who are less affected by the heat, but, the majority of the ones you don't see around are affected by the heat in a greater way. Those are the people who are in trouble. Finding them and helping them if they are willing is the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment