Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Epidemic

I know you have been wondering where I went. Well truth is that I needed time to decompress from the years that I spent far too deeply involved in parts of the homeless world that really affected me. So here goes...

Today we are all involved in the epidemic that's going around the whole world. Just last week Ft Worth has basically done many very smart things to prevent the spread of the virus causing all the problems. My real issue is that the services that most real unsheltered homeless people as well as the people who live on or below the poverty line are severely affected because of the rules about people gathering at one place and at the same time.
The one that affects me and many others the most is food pantries. Because of the new rules the food pantries only have a few options. Worse yet some are just closed. I did visit one food pantry that had people lined up in the parking lot and standing 6 feet apart. Then served each person with a prepackaged assortment of groceries. That's the good news. For that food pantry I have nothing but good things to say because they were really trying to serve their clients.
There were several food pantries I attempted to visit that were closed. Whether it was because of a lack of donations (which is a real problem these days) or lack of volunteers or just an over abundance of caution. I can't fault them at all. They are doing their best to help those who are struggling.
For many of us we have to travel by walking and if the closest open food pantry is 5 miles away, getting there and back is difficult. I know because I did it last week. I'm 68 years old and hauling what groceries they distributed took me several hours to get back to camp.
Younger people probably wouldn't have as much trouble but what about the elderly people who live unsheltered or who have a home but haven't got the means to travel longer distances just to be able to eat. 
It's time for all of us to figure out how to help those people who are struggling to survive. In this instance I have used myself as an example because I really struggled that day so I know what others are going through as well. 
There are probably many ways you can make a difference. Know of anyone who might be needing help with groceries? Maybe putting together a food box for them and delivering it to them. Stop an unsheltered homeless person and buy him a bag of burgers or give him a box of food. You don't have to violate the 6 foot rule. It sure would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment