Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 25, 2013

Addictions and Homelessness


Addictions and Homelessness


 

Alcohol and drugs are a major problem within the homeless community. In a past posting I’ve spoken about some of my drug and alcohol issues. I’ve also said that the drugs and alcohol are symptoms of other issues that each person has to address before he or she can really improve his or her quality of life.

I’m not certain, but through my own observations, I believe that about 80% of all homeless people and something approaching 100% of the unsheltered homeless people have drug or alcohol issues to a greater or lesser degree. This doesn’t mean they are addicts though. In fact, of all the homeless people who live in camps or elsewhere on the street, I know of only 2 people who don’t use alcohol or drugs of any sort.

Alcohol and marijuana are two of the biggest problems, with crack cocaine, various prescription drugs, methamphetamines and various opiates such as heroin are found amongst the homeless community.

There are several problems here that come to mind. Over the last several years a number of homeless people have been moved into some sort of subsidized housing which is a good thing. But without addressing the substance abuse issues and more importantly the underlying issues that caused the substance abuse issues in the first place, all that happens is that the homeless person will continue to do alcohol or drugs and ultimately become homeless again or worse. This is a huge waste.

Now I won’t say that I know how to resolve the addiction issues and their underlying causes. Each person is or has different issues as well as that persons experiences. This means that rehabilitation programs may work for some, 12 step programs for others, one on one counseling can be effective for still others. Even religion can be effective. In my case, I can’t put my finger on any one thing that caused me to begin my personal recovery even though I had been through rehab 3 times, an out-patient rehab program, several 12 step groups and even jail/prison time. Maybe it had something to do with my growing faith or Christianity. It could have been a bit of all the above.

What I’m saying here is that substance abuse issues and their underlying causes have to be addressed before any other kind of solution to homelessness can be effective.

1 comment:

  1. I agree to the thoughts here. I guess big impact for substance abuse is to acquire professional help from rehabs like malibu rehab that offers good way of treating addiction.

    ReplyDelete