Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

This Blog


This Blog


 

Let’s talk a bit about where this blog is going. Several years ago a thought started growing in my mind to develop a presence on the internet that talked about homelessness from the perspective of a homeless person. Pretty simple right? Well not so much. The original thought was to talk about homelessness in general. When I developed the original web site and later this blog I had all sorts of thoughts about all the things I could write about but it turned out not to be possible at the time. There’s nothing “general” about homelessness. Homelessness is as varied as the people it describes. As varied as the people in your own neighborhood or apartment complex.

In these last 10 months or so since the web presence of Homeless In Ft. Worth began, the postings have been somewhat all over the map touching on this or that aspect of homelessness. I’ve discovered though that this is not going to work. The problem is too complex and the personalities too diverse.

As of late I’ve spoken more often about a specific class or group of homeless people. It’s a relatively small group compared to the larger overall classification called “homeless” they are people who are considered chronic unsheltered homeless. Truthfully it was a simple choice because I’m part of that particular group and over the years have developed a fair understanding of them. Yes I’ve spent time in the shelters as well as slept on the street and in abandoned buildings. But with that being said the bulk of my time as a homeless person has been living in a campsite here in Ft Worth. (Actually campsites, as in more than one, for various reasons that I will speak of as this blog progresses.)

While living in abandoned buildings or houses and living on the street are also considered unsheltered, most of my conversations will be about camps even though there are many similarities amongst them all.

Another reason I’m concentrating my posting on the unsheltered homeless is because the sheltered homeless are fairly well documented and most common knowledge of homelessness derives from this very group. Which means most attention is paid to the sheltered homeless and very little is paid to the peole scattered throughout Ft Worth in camps large and small or simple or complex.

This is my plan. There will be diversions into other types of homelessness but I shall talk mostly of this group of called unsheltered homeless who live in campsites. I will talk about the people who consist of chronic and unsheltered homeless. I will talk about myself, my thoughts, my plans and what I’m doing. I’ll even talk about the few people who recognize the needs of the unsheltered homeless and try to help.

Bookmark this Blog and its associated web site. Return often to learn what we/I are all about and if it’s your desire, get involved with some of us or with the few organizations who are helping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment